08 January 2016

Things I learned working for a horrible boss at a job I loathed going to everyday.

I know, I know. Nobody WANTS to work with people that they don't like or at a place that doesn't value them, but sometimes you just have to stick it out a little bit longer. Maybe you need the insurance, maybe you just want to stay until you find something better, or maybe you need some more experience and then you can move up a level. 

Sometimes you need to leave, but you need to have the wisdom and the discernment to know when you should stay as well. 

My old job was at a college and they paid for my tuition. I was trying to finish my degree and I knew that I needed to finish up as much as I could with their help. (Tuition was more than I was making in a year for one semester, not to include books.)

I did in the end quit to finish my last semester there, but it worked out well. I was engaged (to my now wonderful husband!) and we worked together on a plan for me to finish my schooling and that I would be able to afford it when I finally left. (There are some things that I actually typed here that my old boss said to me would never happen and I think she was just being mean and spiteful, but I didn't want to be like her; so I deleted them.)

I worked 2 jobs for a little while because I was trying desperately to get out of the debt hole I dug for myself. I could blame my ex-husband, but ultimately it was my fault and I dealt with it. I am debt free now and I will remain thus for the duration of my life. 



Things I learned working for a horrible boss




1. Sometimes you need to learn humility. 



I didn't want to admit that I was prideful. (I think that's part of being prideful.) but I was. I thought that I could do all the things better than anyone else, and that I didn't need their help. I was wrong. I had always worked with a specific type of people and these new people were different and SO unlike me. I was humbled in the fact that I need to humble myself before God. 

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." -2 Chronicles 7:14



2. Someone there may need to learn something from YOU. 



Maybe your calling is different than mine was, but since I'm writing about my experiences I can only tell you what I know. Maybe you are supposed to be a light to lead others to Christ. 

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:35

I taught a few of the girls how to become debt free and I talked to one extensively about Dave Ramsey and I gave her the website. I really hope that she is now debt free, because nobody wants or should have to be a slave. 

"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender." -Proverbs 22:7


3. Learn to work FOR God. 



Near the last year I worked there I realized that it didn't matter how the people there treated me or how miserable I was, I was working for the Lord. What an honor and a privilege that should be! 
I want to hear "Well done good and faithful servant" when I get to heaven. 

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord. Colossians 3:23


4. Learn to pray for those who persecute you.



Not everyone is going to like you, in fact quite a few people that you interact with will down right loathe you.  Some of them don't have the tact to not tell you that they don't like you in some sort of mean way. 
There was a girl I worked with who was tactless, rude and downright mean to me and quite a few others. She was the quintessential mean girl that you would recognize from high school. Some how she still managed to be quite popular. She mistreated people and I was one of the few to stand up for others. But, I learned that something in her was broken by watching her. Her and my boss got on quite well, but I was always the "odd one." I'm kind of use to it, but it still hurts none the less. Praying for someone who hates, despises you and does everything in their power to mike your life a nightmare is NOT easy. But, it is worth it. Holding onto that anger will only hurt you. Giving up that pain and hurt to God will make you a better person. But, lets not get prideful again, right?

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," -Matthew 5:44


5. Patience is a hard learned virtue



Patience is never easy to learn. I asked for patience in my life once. God decided to grant me that wish. Placing you in a workplace that you can't wait to run screaming from EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. is definitely going to help you learn patience. I had to learn to be patient for my homestead and now I have it. I had to learn patience to have a wonderful life with my husband, and now I have that as well. But, I did have to go through some hardships to get here. I think it was worth it, and I wholeheartedly hope that it will be for you as well. 

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes." -Psalms 37:7



In the end I feel like God was trying to make me a better person, in several different ways, by working there. I love my life and I wouldn't trade a single day of it away. The trials and experiences that you go through in your life made you who you are today. Remember that we are all works in progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment