23 November 2016

No buy day vs. black Friday madness

The day after Thanksgiving has become completely crazy. 

CRAZINESS





People are trampling, beating, cutting, pepper spraying and killing one another-for stuff. 

It's all just stuff! 
As Americans our homes are full of stuff, over flowing with stuff, junk, trinkets, things, moments from everywhere. Our closets are jam packed and over flowing. 
We have a show about people who have too much stuff, they even have a special name for them-Hoarders. 
But, what about "normal people" who have too much stuff, but it's all put away and organized neatly?

Who are these people fighting over things at stores and hurting others? 
I can't even believe that we as a society have gotten bad enough that we can't even stop to help someone who is clearly having a heart attack or trapped in a car in a lake. 
It's IDIOCRARCY! (side note: amazing movie made in the early 2000's. I see it happening all around us.)
 People have lost the sense that God gave them! 

So what is the answer? 

  1.  Realize that there is nothing that you can buy that will make you (or anyone else) happy. 
  2. Know when enough is enough. 
  3. Value people over things.


This video shows the real cost of Black Friday and our wasteful ways. At the end of this post I will post some alternatives you can start this year. 



For this year on Black Friday I refuse to be a part of the madness, craziness or traffic. I don't want to stand in line to get a 90" TV for $200 if there is a chance that I will die over it, or someone else will. 
I do not need another TV. We have one that works just fine. (This is just an example. There is nothing that I need this badly, that I would even CONSIDER putting someone else at risk for it.) 

As a Christian, why would I ever want to do this? Why would I trade who God has made me to be for a TV, or a 90% off discount? (again, example.) 
God made me to love people, to lead them to Him. To the only freedom that we can ever know. 
How can I do that if I am bashing them over the head one day and then greeting them in church a few days later? What does that say to the unbeliever? It says that I'm a hypocrite. That I only say that I care about people. That's not what I want people to think of me and it's definitely not what I want people to see when they look at Jesus. 
Jesus said, 'put down your cross and follow me.' 
Put it down. Put down the discounted TV, put down your sorrow and loneliness that you think can only be filled up by material goods. 
Seek the one that made you. He waits for you. 


"Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?  
If any of you are embarrassed over me and the way I’m leading you when you get around your fickle and unfocused friends, know that you’ll be an even greater embarrassment to the Son of Man when he arrives in all the splendor of God, his Father, with an army of the holy angels.”
                   -Mark 8:34-38 (The Message Translation) 



This year, lets spend the time with our family,  friends and people. Make it a day to buy nothing. Focus on what is important to you. If you think that things are important you are going to go shopping no matter what.  But, just ponder these words in your heart. 
That thing that you just have to have, will it save you or make you free?


Buying things isn't wrong. We are all human and have needs. Even Jesus, when he was on Earth had needs. Just keep them in their proper place. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!




Want to make a difference?

  1. Sponser a child who has nothing. Give them food, education and the chance to grow up healthy. For $38 a month you can give a child a better life. 
  2. Learn more about zero waste.
  3. Invite someone to your Thanksgiving that you know can't go home to their family this year or will be alone. It is a hard time of year and no one should have to be alone. 
  4. Come up with a shopping-free tradition for your family this year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment